This recipe makes enough for four people, and some leftovers. We will be having the remainder for brekkie tomorrow with toast :)
Smokey Breakfast Beans
1 425gm can of cannellini beans
1 425gm can of red kidney beans
1 onion finely chopped
1 TBS olive oil
1 cup of tomato puree
2 tsp mixed herbs
2 TBS coconut sugar
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pot, add onions and sauttee until tender and see through.
- Add beans, PLEASE DO NOT DRAIN THE BEANS. You add the whole can, liquid and all.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and simmer on low until thickened (about 30 minutes).
- Serve on toast, or a roast/steamed potato. Top with avocado and cashew cream.
Lime Cashew Cream
2/3 cup of raw cashews
1/3 cup of water
Pinch of salt
Juice from half a lime
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. Adjust amount of lime/salt to make it more savory or tangy.